Invitations to perform on the Festival main stage are issued on the basis of adjudications or screenings. A screening can be arranged at a school or a Thespian chapter conference. A production can be screened only one time per school year. The National Office will send two adjudicators. If a situation such as bad weather or airline difficulties prevents both adjudicators
from arriving then only one adjudicator will screen the show.
How to request a screening at your school
The troupe director must:
- Complete and submit the International Thespian Festival main stage adjudication form at least sixty days in advance of the performance and no later than March 1, 2017.
- Submit a check made payable to the International Thespian Festival in the amount of $1,275 for a Saturday screening to cover all of the expenses (transportation, lodging, meals, etc.) of the representative(s) screening the performance.
- Submit two copies of the script for review by the adjudicators.
- Recommend a hotel near the site of the performance for the representative(s) screening the performance, provide written directions to the site of the performance, and if requested, attempt to provide local transportation for the representative(s).
- Secure written permission from the play publisher to present a cutting or one-act version of a longer work. This written permission must be submitted to the National Office with the main stage adjudication form.
- Schedule the performance to be screened on a Saturday evening between October 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017. The performance must not conflict with the dates of the Thespian chapter conference.
The National Office will decline to screen a performance and return the $1,275 check within thirty days of receiving it if:
- Any of the requirements outlined above are not met.
- The choice of play is not appropriate in the judgment of the National Office.
- There are no adjudicators available to attend the performance.
- A different production of the same show has already been selected.
- The Festival main stage schedule is complete.
How to cancel a screening
Up to one week prior to the performance, if the troupe director finds the performance is not main stage quality then the troupe director is encouraged to to cancel the screening. The school will receive a refund of the $1,275 minus $100 (for processing) and any non-refundable airline ticket fees and cancellation fees incurred by the adjudicator(s).
After a show has been screened...
The troupe director will receive a written evaluation, as submitted to the festival director by the adjudicator(s), no more than thirty days following the performance. No written or oral critique will be provided at the time of the performance. The National Office will contact the troupe director within thirty days of the performance to discuss one of the following:
- The production is being considered for main stage. Shows that are screened in the fall of 2016 will be notified if a main stage invitation is forthcoming by January 31, 2017. Shows that are screened after December 1, 2016 will be notified by April 1, 2017, or
- The production is not under consideration for a main stage invitation, or
- Two or more schools have submitted the same play title to be screened. If the first production is selected then the second production will not be screened and the fee will be refunded.
Screenings at Thespian Chapter Conferences
Chapter Directors can request to have productions screened at Thespian Chapter Conferences.