The International Thespian Society has created the New Troupe Charter Grants program to bring honor and recognition to theatre students in financially challenged communities. The International Thespian Society is an honor society, and a troupe is made up of the students who have earned induction through quality work in the theatre arts.
Membership in an honor society instills students with pride and confidence, confirms the value of their work, and inspires them to continue their efforts. An international honor society adds to a school's stature and leads to increased awareness and support for its theatre program.
The New Troupe Charter Grants program will award grants to qualifying schools to fund the charter of an International Thespian Society troupe and induction for up to ten students.
The initial gift to fund the program has been made by Tams-Witmark Music Library, Inc.
- The school must have campus-wide Title I status.
- The school must have produced at least one show per year for the two school years preceding the year of the grant application.
- The applicant must submit a short statement of no more than 150 words summarizing why the school wants to charter a troupe and why they think it will benefit their students, theatre program, and school.
- The school administrator supports chartering and maintaining a troupe at the school. The school is administratively and financially responsible for the troupe. The administration appoints the troupe director, typically the theatre teacher, as the school’s official representative for the troupe.
How it works
- Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis within 30 days of receipt by ITS.
- Qualifying schools will be notified and provided guidance to help them charter their troupes as long as funds are available.
- If funds are not available at the time a school is approved for a grant, the school will notified and added to a waiting list until funds become available. The school will be contacted at that time.
- Schools that do not qualify will be notified within 30 days.
Apply for a new troupe charter grant.
Contact us at CharterGrants@schooltheatre.org.