The International Thespian Society has created the New Troupe Charter Grants program to bring honor and recognition to theatre students in financially challenged communities. The International Thespian Society is an honor society, and a troupe is made up of the students who have earned induction through quality work in the theatre arts.
Membership in an honor society instills students with pride and confidence, confirms the value of their work, and inspires them to continue their efforts. An international honor society adds to a school's stature and leads to increased awareness and support for its theatre program.
The New Troupe Charter Grants program will award grants to qualifying schools to fund the charter of an International Thespian Society troupe and induction for up to ten students.
- The school must have campus-wide Title I status.
- The school must have produced at least one show in the school year preceding the year of the grant application.
- The applicant must submit a short statement of no more than 150 words summarizing why the school wants to charter a troupe and why they think it will benefit their students, theatre program, and school.
- The school administrator supports chartering and maintaining a troupe at the school. The school is administratively and financially responsible for the troupe. The administration appoints the troupe director, typically the theatre teacher, as the school’s official representative for the troupe.
How it works
- Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis within 30 days of receipt by ITS.
- As long as funds are available, qualified schools will have their troupes chartered and students inducted as soon as possible following grant approval and notification.
- If funds are not available at the time a school is approved for a grant, the school will be notified and added to a waiting list until funds become available. The school will be contacted at that time.
- Schools that do not qualify will be notified within 30 days.
New Troupe Charter Grant Application - Middle School, Grades 6-8
New Troupe Charter Grant Application - High School, Grades 9-12
Contact us at CharterGrants@schooltheatre.org.