November 19, 2015
The National Coalition for Core Arts Standards (NCCAS) has selected sixteen high school theatre educators to pilot the National Core Arts Standards Model Cornerstone Assessments (MCAs) during the 2015-2016 school year. Pilot teachers were also chosen in the disciplines of dance, media arts, music, and visual arts. The pilot, partially funded by a National Endowment for the Arts grant, follows a similar project conducted during 2014-2015, in which seventy-five arts educators piloted the MCAs in grades two, five, and eight. The 2015-2016 pilot teachers, working with the MCAs at the high school benchmark levels of Proficient, Accomplished, and Advanced, will put the example tasks on their feet, and assess students’ application of their knowledge and skills in authentic and relevant contexts. Each pilot educator will gather and submit portfolios of student work that demonstrates the MCA task performed at or above standard. A second team of benchmarking assessment experts will review the pilot samples and come to agreement about those they feel meet the MCA’s rubric criteria and are performed at a level of standard proficiency. The ultimate goal is to create a bank of examples that will be posted on the Core Standards website to serve as a resource for other arts educators.
The MCA High School Theatre Pilot Team is:
- Abra Chusid, Lake Community High School, Lake Villa, Illinois.
- Mary Hayes Ernst, North Forsyth High School, Cummings, Georgia.
- Matthew Evangelista, Performance Fine Arts High School of Lawrence (Kansas).
- Kristie L. Fuller, Indian River High School, Philadelphia, New York.
- Phillip Goodchild, Lennard High School, Ruskin, Florida.
- Kathy Harris, Mission Viejo (California) High School.
- David Tate Hastings, Olathe (Kansas) South High School.
- Jo Strom Lane, Roosevelt High School, Portland, Oregon.
- Ellen O’Reilly-LaSalle, Digthon Rehoboth Regional High School, North Dighton, Massachusetts.
- Rick Osann, Bonny Eagle High School, Standish, Maine.
- Anne-Marie Roberts, Skyline High School, Howell, Michigan.
- Patricia J. Santanello, Dublin Scioto High School, Dublin, Ohio.
- Shira Schwartz, Basha High School, Chandler, Arizona.
- John Stephan/Elisabeth Campbell, Cumberland Regional High School, Bridgeton, New Jersey.
- Aileen Zeigler, Brownell-Talbot High School, Omaha, Nebraska.