September 7, 2016
At its July meeting held at the Annual Leadership Summit in Texas, the Educational Theatre Association Board of Directors reviewed the new Honor Chapter program. The program will be implemented during the 2016-2017 school year by Director of Chapters and Communities Diane Carr and is intended to recognize chapter accomplishments. Board members appreciated the wide variety of opportunities that will enable all chapters to earn recognition regardless of size.
Director of Operations Brian Monk presented a recommendation for insurance coverage to mitigate a majority of risk factors, to be applied at the troupe, chapter, and national levels. The board supported the recommendation.
The board discussed the results of its first Leadership Academy, a six-hour professional development session for EdTA members held at the 2016 International Thespian Festival. The response from participants was positive, and plans were made to offer the session again at this year’s EdTA National Conference. Development of the leadership training program has been a key component of the vision of EdTA Board President Frank Pruet for developing future leaders in the field and for EdTA.
In other business the board:
- Passed resolutions in honor of Lynn Jensen and Gai Jones, whose board terms ended July 31.
- Received updates on Thespian alumni events Broadway Back to School in New York on September 26, and Thespians Go Hollywood in California on November 13.
- Listened to Individual Events survey feedback.
- Acted on three terminology clarifications in the Code of Regulations which were proposed for a vote by the membership: one regarding ex officio members as voting members of committees, one regarding the composition of the nominating committee, and one regarding the definitions of secretary and treasurer.
- Acknowledged professional development as an unmet need of members and a priority for 2017.
Future board meetings will take place:
- September 17 at the EdTA National Conference in Las Vegas.
- December 17 via conference call.
- February 16 through 18 in Cincinnati.