Within the Community, there are lots of features to learn about and put to use. Last week, I covered Discussions. Today, I’m going to cover Blogs. This is one of my favorite parts of the Community because there are unlimited possibilities and I love seeing how people have used it thus far. What is a blog? A blog is an easy way to share an experience or opinion. If you don’t have a question requiring a response and just want to share some thoughts, a blog is the perfect place. No matter what level you're on, this basic advice should help you get started!
Helpful Tips for Writing a Blog:
-Give it an interesting, informative title. What would make someone want to click on it to read more?
-Ideal length is between 300-1000 words. This is just a general guideline, so don’t feel like it’s mandatory. Think more than a few sentences, less than a novel.
-Include a picture, video, graph, chart, etc. It will make it more visually appealing (if the image isn’t yours, be sure to credit the source). Bonus: adding an image will allow people to Pin It to their Pinterest account!
-Proofread. Reread what you have written at least once (I do this twice, once silently and once out loud). It doesn’t have to be perfect, but at least make the effort, you won’t be able to edit it once published.
-Focus on the positives. People are more receptive and likely to continue reading blogs that make them laugh, feel good, or help them learn something.
What can I write a blog about?
-Share your knowledge. Have you built a popular costume piece, prop, or set? Can you demonstrate the important qualities of a perfect British accent? Showcase the components of a good audition? Create a step-by-step tutorial to help your peers.
-Tell us about an experience. Did you see an amazing play recently? Write a review. What incident sparked your interest in theatre? Can you tell us what types of activities you participated in at a state conference or theatre event?
-Express an opinion. Why is theatre an important part of a well-rounded education? Why should one see a play over a movie?
How exactly do I post a blog in the Community?
1. Go to the main “Community” tab and choose “Blogs.”
2. Click on “Create a New Blog.”
3. Title your piece, write the body, and decide if you would like it to be associated with a specific Community. This is optional, but tying it to a Community will increase traffic.
4. Decide who is permitted to read your blog and who may submit comments.
5. If you are finished, click “Publish.” If you want to save it to work on it later, click “Save for Later.” To delete your blog, click “Cancel.”
6. If you need to retrieve a saved blog, go back to the main blog area and choose “Unpublished.” Then you can select the blog you want to work on, make edits, and publish or save.
7. Share it! Use the "permalink" at the bottom of your blog and send it out in a Tweet, post it to your Facebook page, or email it to your friends. As long as you've set it to "public," anyone will be able to check it out, even if they aren't a member of the Community.
Now that you've had a crash course in Blogs 101, I can't wait to read what you'll post! As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.